Pages

Cold Turkey is noisy in Holloway

Wednesday 13 February 2008


Maybe I've always been numb to it, maybe I have. Two weeks of weekday cold turkey and I'm pretty much a fully blown insomniac. London is noisy, all day and all night.

People hear better in the dark.








What do I hear?

I hear cars, many cars, too many cars. Not so much waves on the beach, more bullets past the bedside.
I hear buses. Buses with engines sounding like jets taking off. Is there not noise pollution rules for this? I can now tell the difference between, a number 135, a 390 and a 24 based on the noise they make when they take off from the bus stop. This is just wrong.
I hear people vomiting in the street at 3 am as they stagger home.
I hear wagons booming over ill placed speed bumps.
I hear the neighbours having alcohol fuelled rows.
I hear sirens, way too many sirens.
I hear the trains which vibrate the flat before they vibrate the flat
I hear movement in the flat below which sounds like people are in my flat.
I hear chavs on 50cc scooters 3 at a time racing each other (to an early grave with any luck).

I hear too much at night. It's keeping me awake and stealing my shallow sleep.

Then, I hear the alarm.

I need a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This bar welcomes everyone so have your say